Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Language Skills

Last Saturday was a kids day. Tania had Dosha and Sveta come to our house and Sasha went to a birthday party for a friend at school.

Since Dosha and Sveta were over, I decided for lunch we would go to Crown Burger and then run a few errands. After we had ordered our meal, I told the girls they had an option. If they spoke English they could sit at the same table as Katelyn and me or if they wanted to speak Ukrainian they would need to sit at a different table. They chose to sit with Katelyn and me.

We all got a chuckle though when we picked up our food, we didn't get enough straws and Tania was left without a straw. She pointed at Sveta's straw and asked if there were any more of "those things". Sveta in her deep Ukrainian voice (I wish you could hear her voice, writing this down just does not give it justice) said, "Tania you should know that word by now". Tania was a little embarrassed but she also laughed at herself. In reality, I think she was just having a moment and she really knows the word straw.

Later that day we were on our way to meet Bill and Leslie at the movie theatre to see the movie Iron Man 2. After the movie Bill and Leslie were going to take Dosha and Sveta home. Well we ended up taking two cars since we had the three girls and Sasha and two of his friends wanted to come also. You would think that since we are now a family of six we would get a vehicle that could hold 6 people but no we just keep our two little cars. We do have a truck that can hold six but it isn't very comfortable.

Anyway, I called David to see what route he was going to take to the theatre. Sasha answered his phone and I asked him if his dad was there. He told me "he is in the wheelchair". I could hear David in the background laughing and correcting Sasha. He was in the drivers seat not a wheel chair.


Sorry to bore you with this account. We got such a giggle about both events. I had to write about it.

No comments: